My husband no longer believesThu, Jul 24th 2008
I've been married for 8 years and my husband just tells me that he no longer believes in God. We've never been consistent church goers, but I've always thought we were on the same page with religion - Methodist. When he told me his concerns (evolution, lacking proof, not believing in heaven, and "how can God let terrible things happen, such as terrorism and letting children starve?")I didn't have many answers, but I still believe. I asked him to please let us continue raising our kids as Christians as we continue to discuss and figure out how we are going to get through this. I hope he changes his beliefs, but how can I live with this? I can't look at him the same way. And how confusing is this going to be for my young kids if he puts this question in their heads?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.